Pages

April 17, 2010

Chocolate Truffles

Every time that I need/want to make a delicious treat, Tim and I have the following conversation:

What should I make?
Something delicious.
Well that’s not vague. Could you be a bit more specific?
Chocolate chip cookies.
How about something a bit more creative?
Mint truffles.
Those are the only things you ever suggest.
I knows what I like!

I have always loved making truffles, because they always look so fancy and complicated, when they are actually extremely easy to make. They are also a great creative outlet, since you can make almost any flavor, with numerous coatings and decorations.

I had recently acquired my first candy molds, so I decided to use those for these truffles. I did one batch flavored with mint chocolate Bailey’s Irish Crème coated with semisweet chocolate and one batch with raspberry extract coated with dark chocolate.  

The dark chocolate raspberry truffles. These seemed to be a hit. My dad ate not only his but my brother's as well.
 Chocolate Truffles

1 Bag (12 oz) Semisweet Chocolate Chips (2 cups, separated)
2 Tbsp Butter or Margarine
1/4 C. Whipping Cream
2 Tbsp. Liqueur/Flavoring (almond, cherry, coffee, hazelnut, Irish cream, orange, raspberry, etc.), if desired

In 2-quart saucepan, melt 1 cup of the chocolate chips over low heat, stirring constantly; remove from heat. Stir in butter. Stir in whipping cream and flavoring. Refrigerate 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently, just until thick enough to hold a shape.

Meanwhile, temper the remaining 1 cup of chocolate. In order for melted chocolate to harden properly (with a glossy shiny finish), it needs to be tempered. I found a great article about tempering chocolate here. Since I do not have a marble slab (and I envision having to burn down the kitchen to clean up the mess that it would create), I use the “seed” method. Melt ¾ cup of the chips in a double boiler or microwave until melted and over 105° on a candy thermometer. Stir in the remaining chips until the temperature enters the tempering range (88°-90° for dark chocolate and 86°-88° for milk chocolate).

Using a candy mold:


Fill each mold 1/3 to 1/2 full with melted chocolate. Using a decorator brush (or one of the smaller paintbrushes from the combo pack that I got at Hobby Lobby) paint up the sides of the molds, making sure that there are no thin spots where light can be seen through. Put the molds in the refrigerator until set, keeping the remaining chocolate’s temperature within the tempering range.

Once the chocolate has set and the truffle mixture has thickened enough to hold shape, spoon the filling into the molds, pressing down to remove any air and to fill the cavity fully. Put the molds into the refrigerator for a few minutes to set.

Seal the shell by covering the filling completely with melted chocolate to the top edge. Lightly tap the molds to break up any air bubbles. Put the molds into the refrigerator or freezer until completely set.

Once set, remove the truffles from the molds. Store in refrigerator.

The mint chocolate irish creme truffles
Other Coating:

Once the truffle mixture has thickened enough to hold shape, drop it by teaspoonfuls onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Shape into balls. If rolling in nuts, cocoa, or mini chocolate chips, do so immediately. Otherwise, freeze for 30 minutes. Dip firm truffles into tempered chocolate one at a time. Shake off excess chocolate and return to the cookie sheet. Immediately sprinkle with any decoration desired. Refrigerate until coating is set. Store in refrigerator.


Adapted from: Betty Crocker Christmas Cookies, 2008





1 comment:

  1. I have had a chance to travel to Europe for work and these tasted just like the ones I had in Switzerland. They were very good!! My favorite are the Irish mint!

    ReplyDelete